Friday, July 20, 2007

We stayed in Port Orillia today one more day to wait for strong winds to die down and Kathy was worried about water levels due to the 4 in. of rain here last night. On my brother, Jim’s, advice I had Poutine for dinner. Kathy had a little pizza. Yeah, here I go again… taking pictures of my food.
Poutine is a big mound of fresh cut French fries with cheese and beef gravy on them. Add beer and a fork and you’ve got dinner. Actually, it was quite good and, of course, filling. This is stick-to-your-ribs Canadian lumberjack food. I suspect that it also sticks to your arteries.
There is a really large, well appointed public park at the Orillia waterfront. Daisy enjoyed treeing the black Canadian squirrels every morning. They have a large statue of Champlaigne, whom landed here in 1615 and spread the Good Word amongst the natives.
The noble natives appear appropriately interested in his ministrations in the statue. I wonder if they were actually this appreciative in 1615.

No comments: