Friday, July 06, 2007

Canada! We're in Kingston, Ontario, Canada after cruising back up the St. Lawrence Seaway.
Here, we are clearing customs just outside the harbor at Brockville, Ontario, which is right across the seaway from Jim's house (Jim took this picture) and then cruised down the Canadian side to Lake Ontario and Kingston.
The Canadian lighthouses along the way were every bit as picturesque as those on the American side.
The Canadian side and the large Canadian islands are not so built up with fancy houses all along the shore even though the shoreline and views are every bit as spectacular. Still, the homes in the top picture are really fine and probably $1 million each. In the bottom picture, somehow I doubt that a 200 ft. piece of this beautiful waterfront would even bring $200K, unlike the US side where it would be much more than that. What a great view for this big farm though.... I'll bet the cows are contented here!

Kingston is a really nice, clean city that seems to have a humming economy and tourism and all of the downtown stores and restaurants are within easy walking distance from the marina. On the way walking to dinner (at "Chez Piggy") we stopped to listen to the free Big Band concert at the plaza in front of their large stone city hall building. The band was really quite good. I'm not sure if 15 musicians counts as a "big" band, but it does in Kingston and we quite enjoyed it.

We'll stay here at least one extra day to enjoy Kingston. I'm lucky to have Verizon internet tonight because I won't have it much in Canada. Therefore, my blogs will be written into my computer and published whenever I can get internet connections. I understand that there are a few small towns along the Trent Severn Canal system that have wireless internet at their libraries or coffee shops. Therefore, this blog may become much more sporadic, but I'll keep writing it anyhow because I enjoy writing it.

No comments: