Friday, August 10, 2007

I'm in Benton Harbor, MI, just 60 miles across Lake Michigan from Chicago!

It was another day of less than one foot waves. Really a perfect cruising day. Halfway through the day, Roger and Cheryl Keast, boaters from our Illinois marina, called. They were out on Lake Michigan going to Saugatuck, MI for the weekend. He passed right by Benton Harbor about an hour after I came into the harbor. It makes me feel like I'm in home territory now. Just 2 more cruising days to complete the Great Loop Route! I wish Kathy were here too. BTW - her mom's doing well and is in a regular room at the hospital, waiting to go home.

When I arrived at the Benton Harbor channel into Lake Michigan, I was surprised by the water color difference of the St. Joseph River water emptying out into the lake. Yes, I know that Midwest rivers flow through farmlands and pick up soil and fertilizer runoff. It's just surprising to see the difference between the sparkling clean Great Lakes water (zebra mussels influence)and the rivers.

I walked into downtown Saint Joseph, MI which is the town on the same side of the river as my marina. It's the "sister city" of Benton Harbor. It's a cute little tourist town, complete with Kilwins fudge shops and lots of restaurants, ice cream stores and art galleries. No sense posting a picture of the town. If you've read my blog, you've seen a dozen of them.

Tomorrow's wave forecast is for 1 to 2 ft. waves again, so I'm going straight across Lake Michigan to Chicago. I'll have to stay on a mooring ball at Monroe Harbor because it's the weekend and all the slips at Burnham Harbor are taken. They said dogs are allowed to ride the little harbor water taxi to shore, so we should be OK on a mooring and it's a really great location, right in the city at Millennium Park. My sister, Beth and her husband, Paul, are coming down Sunday and Paul will crew with me down the Illinois River, through the locks to our marina.

No comments: