Thursday, August 09, 2007

I cruised from Pentwater to Grand Haven, MI today. It's really not as much fun cruising without Kathy... nobody to share the experience with. And Daisy mostly just sleeps on the sofa until we get into port. When the engines start idling up the channels when we arrive, she always walks out on deck to see.
There were sailboat races in the harbor at Pentwater, MI when I went out to walk Daisy this morning.... very picturesque in the early morning light!

Then, we cruised down Lake Michigan in completely flat water all day. Hardly even a wave in sight.
In fact, with the morning haze, the sky and water seemed to meld into one scene with no horizon for a while. The forecast is for 2 more days of 1 to 2 ft. waves, so I'll probably go to Benton Harbor, MI tomorrow and then across to Chicago on Saturday.

We passed lots more giant sand dunes, including these interesting bare sand dunes near Little Sable Point. The two little dots near the top of the big dune are full size SUVs out 4-wheeling on the sand dunes. The first one made it over the top but the second one kept sliding back down sideways and had to go around the right side where it's not so steep.

Grand Haven is a deep water port for the Great Lakes. This is one of the dry cement freighters, about 600 ft. long. They can't turn around here, I'm told that they have to back out into the lake to turn.
About 10 PM tonight. a 70 ft. cruiser came in to the dock. I had gone under the 25 ft. bridge to get to this marina slowly, with my antennas down, watching the height from my flybridge. The 70 footer had misread his charts and thought the bridge was 35 ft. and went under and broke off all 4 of his antenna masts and his anchor light mast. Ouch! Of course, back in the Oswego Canal, I broke one of my antenna masts on a structure overhanging a lock, so I know how it feels.

No comments: