Friday, February 16, 2007

Miami International Boat Show Day!
We went down to the boat show today and I can tell you safely that we need between $2 mil and $5 mil to get the boat I'd really like......but that's more than ten times what our boat cost, and more than 10 times what I have. Now, the 120 to 130 footers like the ones Kathy is walking between here are way more than $10 mil. I guess they're all totally out of our league and even out of our desires. Oh, well...at least our 53 Hatteras doesn't look so big anymore, and I really don't think I'd want a bigger one. Some of them are just too much boat.

But they do have a salon like this, which handles 15 or 20 of your closest friends.
And master staterooms like this that take two pictures to show both sides of the room with the separate "his" bathroom on starboard.....


and "hers" bathroom on the port side. The bathrooms both have doors leading into the same large shower stall in the middle. The sales lady even explained "that that's for meeting in the middle for fun". Hmmmmm....



And engine rooms like this...see you even get your own built in Craftsman tool chest!

We also came to appreciate very much that we have more storage space and living space than any near comparable size boat. The Hatteras 53MY is a great design for a boat.



Then there were dozens upon dozens of 40 to 70ft. used boats. These were all priced at a multiple of what our boat cost too. However, I saw lots of interesting layouts and lots of things I'd like to have but can't afford. Things like:

o Built in dinghy garage in the stern that opens up like a garage door.

o Built in hydraulic boarding ramp that unfolds to go out to any height dock.
o Satellite phones that work anywhere, including internet.

o Radar that overlays radar images on your GPS charts.

o Auxillary operator station where you can run and steer the boat from miniature controls at the stern for backing in easily.

Tomorrow we'll see the inside show at the Miami Convention Center. It'll have a few thousand other things that I've never thought of but now I'll wish I had.......electronics and toys for the boat. Wowee!

No comments: